Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Beidai Weekend

Last weekend we took the train to Beidai for the weekend! It's actually more of a Russian resort town, but the reason we went was because it's where the Great Wall meets the sea. So now I've seen the Great Wall toward the end of the Silk Road in the desert, in the middle by Beijing, and now at the end at the sea!



There wasn't a sign describing what this is...so I'm assuming it's a jade dragon of some sort meant to bring luck? It was in a glass case, but it was cracked so people had shoved money inside.


I almost walked right past this door without noticing the man.


There was this awesome maze in the fort area. I'm sure it doesn't have a historical meaning behind it, but it sure was fun! And a bit more difficult than it looks. We spent a good 45 minutes or so in it...



This is the building at the top that overlooks the sea (picture after next)


In order to take this picture we stopped people from going to the top for about 20 minutes, but they didn't seem to mind because they were curious as to what we were doing. I cropped the picture, but on the left side there was a guy on the stairs with a camera. He was taking a picture of me as I was posing, awkward, right? At first I noticed he was pointed in my direction so I looked at him, he noticed me looking and put his camera down. I looked back to Julie (girl taking this picture) and out of the corner of my eye watched him put his camera up again and slowly move in my direction. I wasn't in the mood that day so I just stared him down as he took my picture.



This is supposed to be the dragon head at the end of the wall. It was kind of funny because we were told that at the sea there was a dragon drinking water...we got to the end and were like "Where's the dragon head?!" We had to have someone explain to us that it wasn't a literal dragon head, but was figuratively speaking. I was looking forward to seeing some elaborate dragon too...


I had to take a picture of this.


And this. A three wheeled car. It's smaller than a smart car.



On the left is our hotel. And it is the place where retired communist party officials stay.


This is the beach right across from our hotel. The place was absolutely gorgeous and wonderful! It felt so good to be by water and fresh air for awhile. We spent some time just walking along the shore and collecting shells and watching the local people fish. Like I mentioned in the beginning this was a Russian resort area, so the stores and menus were all in Russian. There were countless times that people came up to us speaking in full Russian expecting us to respond. We just looked at them with wide eyes and responded in English. 

I always feel like I have to have some great ending to my posts - I literally spend more time thinking of how to end a post than writing the actual post - So I'm just going to end this one by saying Beidai was awesome and I want to go back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment